25 Life Lessons I’ve Learned by 25
Hey friends! Since my 25th birthday this past Monday, I’ve been thinking a lot on how much I’ve grown, learned and changed throughout the years. It’s crazy to think that a quarter of a century has passed. A QUARTER OF A CENTURY. Whoa.
I wanted to share these lessons with you, in hopes these lessons help you as well. 🙂 I’d love to hear what your biggest life lesson is in the comments below, too!
- Make time for self-care. You work so hard to the point where you spread yourself thin. Take time to check in with yourself and reset, refresh, and re-proritize your routine often.
- It’s okay if it’s not perfect, as long as it’s completed and you did the best you could with what you had.
- Speak up. As an introvert, you have a tendency to internalize a lot and in the end, you don’t speak up when you need to. Your needs are important too.
- It’s okay to create boundaries with others in order for you to recharge. It’s also okay to reach out and make plans first with anyone who you feel connected to.
- That gut feeling? Keep listening to it. It’s usually right.
- Aim true to yourself and what feels good. Don’t let other’s dreams dictate your decisions. Stand your ground, you have a say in your life, too.
- Take care of your skin! Try your best to put the more natural products as possible on your skin – face wash, moisturizer, make up, and especially sunscreen. Hydrating your body helps a lot, too. The outer body is just as important as the inner. Oh, and TAKE OFF YOUR MAKE UP. Every. Single. Night. You will thank yourself later.
- Everyone is fighting their own battle. Take a step further to make them smile, especially when things aren’t going well on your end. A simple compliment will not only make someone feel good, their reaction will make you feel good, too.
- When you seriously put your mind to something, you will receive it. Meet the Universe halfway, it’s on your side.
- With that being said, trust that the Universe, God, whomever you believe in, is on your side. Even when it seems like things are going downhill, keep your head up because something amazing is coming!
- Focus on what YOU can do to make yourself happy. Release that responsibility of others to do that for you. Let go of expectations of others. They aren’t mind readers, after all.
- Embrace ALL of you – your weirdness, flaws, and all. Don’t hold back on what makes you YOU! Those that love the real you will stick around, plus you’ll be happier.
- Your body has a diet of its own, listen to it. What you put into your body can and will influence your mood. Experiment, explore, and see what energizes or drains you and your body! Some years, certain healthy food (or any food at that) will work for your body. The next day, it won’t. Be aware of what you put into your body.
- Certain people come in your life at a certain period for a reason. Be aware of these people. You may not realize it until later.
- Don’t take everything personally. Everyone is focused on their own life and struggles. Chances are, they didn’t go out of their way to hurt you.
- Realize that not everyone is meant to be your friend, and that’s okay. Some people will dislike you, and some will fight for you. Don’t waste your time trying to change the minds of and chasing after those that don’t love you for who you are.
- As cliche as it sounds, be grateful for what you have now and the people around you. It’s a practice. It keeps you here in the present moment and helps you let go of what coulda-shoulda-woulda.
- Allow others to go through their own journey. Be there to encourage and empower them, and only give them advice when they ask for it.
- Your twenties are about learning, experimenting, and lots (and LOTS!) of trial and error. Dust yourself off, hold your head up, get up, and ride the never ending waves.
- Allow yourself to feel what you feel. Feel it to the fullest. When you’re done, think of 3 things you’re grateful for and do something about this feeling.
- Make big decisions when you are level headed, not in an extreme emotional state, like sadness, anger, even happiness.
- When they say you are the average of the 5 people closest to you, they’re right. Choose wisely.
- Be patient. Growth takes time.
- Envision how you’d like your life to be. Then do something TODAY to get it as close to that as possible right now, or to get you closer to your vision.
- Most importantly, have fun and enjoy your life NOW, not when your dream life or goal is reached. Savor the process, even when it’s tough. Easier said than done, I know. It’s easy to grind and work a lot. But if you don’t enjoy what you have now, you may start to question if the grind is even worth fighting for and burn yourself out.
BONUS just ’cause. 🙂
It’s all about perspective – No matter what, life will throw many curveballs at you, sometimes more than you think you can handle. You can either use the same energy to dwell in or turn it around and look at it as another challenge to overcome, which will become another learning lesson or an opportunity to grow from this experience. You will look back and think “Damn, although times were tough, I was strong and overcame that.”
Of course, there is much more than the above, buuuuut I’ll stop there. 😉 Cheers to 25!